The dining table and chairs can be considered to be the heart of the home, the hub of activity where everything comes together. Read on to find out more about how to choose the right dining table for your home.
The dining table and accompanying chairs can be considered to be the heart of the home, the hub of activity where everything comes together. The dining set acts as the centerpiece around which a family huddles together for a meal. It also sets into motion the comfortable rhythm of life at home – from cooking, to setting the table to clearing the dishes afterwards. People eat and sit at the dining table, have private conversations, do their homework, celebrate birthdays, play board games and so on, bearing warm memories that last a lifetime. Much thought and consideration should thus go into the process of selecting the perfect dining table and chairs. Far more than a ﬂat surface upon which to dine, the dining table can be the heartbeat of a family. It’s a place to gather, to talk and to reconnect.
The most critical consideration would be to assess the size of the dining space – and how the dining table or chairs would look within the space. If dining space is limited, such as those within smaller-sized apartments, and you often entertain friends who come to the house for dinner, you should look out for more flexible designs, such as tables that are foldable, extendable or pack-and-go dining tables that come with matching chairs.
The overall size of the dining set should be considered and chosen carefully to achieve a visually pleasing look for the room. It is one of the key factors influencing the overall comfort and style of the dining experience. There are three simple rules to ensure you choose the optimal dimensions:
- The ideal height of any dining table is about 74cm to ensure a good distance between the upper half of the body and the table;
- The average seat height of the dining chair is about 45cm. If you choose a dining chair that causes people’s feet to dangle, it will make them feel uncomfortable.
- A comfortable, reasonable difference in height between tables and chairs should be within the range of 28 - 32cm.
Do bear these four additional tips in mind when choosing a dining table and chair or any dining furniture at the store.
- It’s always best to personally test dining room furniture in the store, as everyone’s comfort level is different.
- Select a dining table made of sturdy stuff. If you want a table to last through years of dinner party wear and tear, choose a table made from a solid hardwood, such as walnut and oak. Furthermore, wood is a classic material that looks better even when it’s weathered with time. Any scratches and nicks in the tabletop surface will mellow into design details, becoming features to admire. If you accidentally add a few more to it, it won’t matter. For this reason, these tables are great for families with children — you never have to worry about whether your brood is unwittingly or even intentionally marking the table.
- We recommend solid wood or steel for table legs and chair legs, so that the dining table and chairs are sturdy enough to carry a heavier load without any danger of cracking or breaking. Solid wood also adds warmth to the dining room.
- Choose a versatile or universal style that matches your interior design! Whether it's mid-century modern, industrial, eclectic.
As the acclaimed screenplay writer Nora Ephron once opined, “I don’t think any day is worth living without thinking about what you’re going to eat next at all times.” A good meal at a good dining table is clearly essential to joie de vivre!
With our distinctive and form-fitting designs, our furniture provides smart solutions for trendy urbanites and apartment living. Each piece is sized to fit comfortably within the small living spaces typical of city life, and thoughtfully priced to be accessible to a wide range of customers. To date, Commune has established a strong regional presence with over 40 stores spanning across China, four in Singapore, three in Malaysia, one in Australia and one in the Philippines.
Shop our dining tables here.
Visit us in store:
9 Raffles Boulevard #02-52
Weekdays: 11:30AM - 9:00PM
Weekends: 11:00AM - 9:00PM
+65 6338 3823
290 Orchard Road, #04-06
Daily: 10:30AM - 9:00PM
+65 6338 7789
Commune Experience Centre
28 Defu Lane 4
Weekdays: 9:00AM - 5:45PM
Weekends: 9:00AM - 7:00PM
+65 6282 9086